VP HYBRIDS - SEA
Based in MALAYSIA / HCMC
Formative Search has secured a project with one of the world’s leading solar companies in the region. Our client is investing heavily to grow their presence amongst the utility solar space in South East Asia, working on expanding their project development team to maintain its position as one of the global leaders in supply of green solar power in the emerging markets.
As solar is becoming the cheapest source of new power capacity globally they also see that business models are evolving with new technologies, offtakers and commercial structures. They are therefore seeking a senior executive to lead their efforts to roll out such new business models at scale across South East Asia based in Kuala Lumpur or Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. They see most of this growth coming from projects in relation to existing and new diesel generation capacity.
This role will be outbound and concentrating sales efforts on target customers throughout the region; be an integral resource in reaching the company’s target of another 2-3 GW in operation over the next 3 years; be part of a fast paced and energized team and will be constantly challenged to develop the company’s project portfolio as well as your own personal skills; and be responsible for developing a dedicated sales and development organization customized for hybrids and corporate business models beyond “classical” project financed utility-scale long-term PPAs with national utilities.
The VP of Hybrid Projects will have the following responsibilities:
· Be involve with existing and new co-investors of the company, and development of financing structures and regional holding companies as the concept evolves.
· Be responsible for leading the development and structuring of new solar business models and develop projects from early opportunity through the development cycle to construction start.
· Lead the roll-out of the company’s product in South East Asia, with a particular focus on industry and other customers currently relying on diesel and HFO for power generation
· Build a network and experience in the region and understanding of the new customers business that will enable you to creatively identify and approach customers and secure pipeline projects.
· Opportunity identification, market analysis, customer sales and marketing, contract negotiations, technical reviews of solutions dependent on customer infrastructure and development of development team.
· Develop and lead a BD, technical and financial team for the region
· Lead efforts to identify and secure customers for the company
· Lead negotiations for project acquisition and manage the acquisition/transaction process
· Lead market reviews, analyzing regulatory issues and policy supports for solar and develop development strategies for countries or regions
· Lead bidding processes to submit bid packages in response to Request for Proposals (RFPs) from offtakers
· Manage development teams, often numbering 10-20 individuals, including internal resources, consultants and development subcontractors
· Be the prime point of contact with Oslo head-quarters and coordinate funding and structuring of the investor platform
· Be willing to travel in support of international business development – mainly within South East Asia.
The academic and working experience background needed for the role :
· 15 year + professional experience from energy industry, preferably operational positions in traditional thermal power industry and or mining at various locations, and/or power solutions from large diesel/HFO generation suppliers
· Technical and/or commercial university level degree, preferably Electrical Engineer
· Additional finance – economic degree is a plus
· Origination of power supply deals either via equipment supply, lease agreements or Power Purchase Agreements
· Working knowledge of power plant sizing, integration and interface requirements
· Experience with contract negotiation and purchasing
· Sales and marketing experience -combined with market analysis
· Significant experience with tax and duties and project development in emerging markets
· Understanding of power markets and in particular thermal energy systems
· Working knowledge and understanding of power purchase agreements, interconnection agreements, permitting requirements and EPC contract terms and conditions is preferable, but not required
And to have these strong characteristics, such as :
· Strong knowledge of technical solutions, infrastructure and set-up for off-grid and weak grid power supply
· Commercial mind-set and understanding of financial analysis
· Self-driven with ability to work under pressure and collaborate with multidisciplinary teams
· Prepared to travel extensively
· Preferably both English and French or Spanish speaking
Our client delivers on commitments and strive for simplicity and clarity, demonstrates commercial awareness and customer orientation. A company that respects the individuals and encourages collaboration whose value is to Improve Our Future.
The successful candidate will be covering many of the most dynamic economies of the 21st century and will be an integral resource in reaching the company’s target of another 2 GW in operation over the next 3 years. He/She will be part of a fast paced and energized team and will be constantly challenged to develop the company’s project portfolio as well as his/her own personal skills.