Our client is a NYSE listed multinational organisation that due to expanding business needs is looking to hire a Director of Legal Affairs to support their Bangladesh operations. The role would report the Country Manager and have a dotted line to the Head of Legal in North America.
This would be the first legal hire for the company in Bangladesh and a great time to join an organisation that is going through a stage of serious growth. Below are further details on the role.
Manage its local in-house legal department in Dhaka, Bangladesh and provide effective, solution-oriented advice to the Company’s Bangladesh manufacturing operations.
- Meet the quality system requirements related to his/her job functions
- To execute and to make sure the dispositions of environment, health and safety are being compiled.
- Responsible for managing all local legal and regulatory matters in accordance with the standards set by the Head Office Legal Department. This will Include providing the following services to the local management in Bangladesh and to the head office.
- Preparing, reviewing and negotiating a variety of commercial contracts to support the local manufacturing operations, including those in connection with the procurement of equipment, machinery and raw materials as well as the construction and expansion of manufacturing facilities.
- Tracking and monitoring all key terms of current and future contracts, including upcoming termination or renewal dates, and ensuring that all supporting documents, such as certificates of insurance and letters of credit, are obtained and monitored.
- Coordinating the proper execution of all contracts in Bangladesh, obtaining fully executed copies, and integrating these in a central legal filing system in Bangladesh.
- Ensuring that all operations follow local laws and regulations and have the necessary permits and licenses to operate in Bangladesh.
- Assisting in the implementation of tax and other reorganization plans by coordinating and preparing the necessary local documentation in collaboration with the Head Office Legal Department
- Assisting in the preparation of various corporate documents (board and shareholder resolutions, etc.) and facilitating communication between local external counsel and the Head Office Legal Department on such matters.
- Managing external counsel to ensure that the Company receives high quality and cost-effective legal services
- Reporting on a regular basis to the Head Office Legal Department on all material legal matters in accordance with internal policies and protocols.
- Perform any other operation-related function indicated by immediate supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Law (LLB) or Master’s in Law (LLM)
- License to practice Law
- Advanced degree from, or some studies at, a European or North American university would be considered an asset.
- At least 10 years’ experience in a prominent Law firm and/or as in-house counsel at a multinational company.
- Fully bilingual (written and spoken) in Bangla and English
- Certificates related to Bangladesh Laws
- Excellent communication and technical writing skills.
- Able to work in fast-moving, multiple-task and team environments with high adaptability for change.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Autonomous, meticulous and has a strong sense of initiative.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and good judgement.
For further information get in touch.